Benefits of Student Membership
Dear Social Work Student:
Thank you for your interest in the New Brunswick Association of Social Workers (NBASW).
The NBASW is the professional association and regulatory body for social workers in New Brunswick. Our mandate includes the protection of the public by ensuring that all people practicing social work in the province of New Brunswick are registered with the Association. In order to ensure quality, ethical, professional social work services to the population of New Brunswick, the NBASW establishes and enforces high standards of qualification, knowledge and skill for social work practice in the province. We also have the mandate of promoting the profession of social work within the public realm and working for social justice and social change.
As a social work student, you do not have to wait for your degree to become active with our Association and our local chapter. Participating in Association activities can be an excellent way to gain a better understanding of the social work profession and student membership has many benefits. These include:
- Access to the Members’ only section of the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW) website, including the CASW publications of Canadian Social Work Journal, CASW Bulletin andCASW Reporter as well as valuable information and resources related to the practice of social work.
- Receipt of NBASW publications including position statements, standards of practice and newsletters.
- Receipt of notices of local NBASW events.
- Access to local job postings.
- Eligibility to apply for the Co-operators/NBASW student member bursaries, which are awarded annually to a student member in each of the Schools of Social Work in New Brunswick (St. Thomas University & Université de Moncton).
- Eligibility for a discount on home and auto insurance with Co-operators Insurance.
- Opportunities to connect and network with experienced social workers through participation in local chapter meetings and activities.
- Opportunity to attend NBASW Annual General Meetings.
Valuable volunteer opportunities on select NBASW committees
Please note: Student membership in the NBASW does not authorize you to practice social work or to refer to yourself as a Social Worker or Registered Social Worker, however, it does provide many valuable opportunities and we encourage you to become part of our organization.
To become a student member please complete an Application for Student Membership available here and submit it to the NBASW.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the NBASW office at 1-877-495-5595.